Every stay-at-home Mom will confess that getting back to the job after the large gap is a challenge. Not every Mom will adapt to the new routine without her precious kid. Not every Mom will qualify for the strict requirements and high standards of the labor market. The good news is that getting back to work is absolutely possible. The bad news is that every stay-at-home Mom has to tailor her resume, cover letter, and other application documents to the desired job and it requires a lot of time.
So, I tried to figure out how to list skills on a resume if you are a stay-at-home Mom.
Stay-at-Home Mom Skills for Resume
There are different categories of Moms, who are going to return to the job. The classification is based on the amount of the working experience. So, understand what category you qualify for and follow the recommendations for each kind of stay-at-home mother.
Moms with Large Working Experience
Moms from this category usually have fewer problems with resume writing and picking up the good skills for a resume. The main problem lies in explaining the large employment gap. Yes, you took intensive care of your child but you should present it in your favor.
The best way not to focus on your employment gap would be to choose a combination type of the resume. It focuses on the skills and qualities that are relevant to the particular job. This information can be supported by the previous working experience. So, your employment gap will be omitted.
When you are writing a resume, you should open it with the qualification summary. For instance, let’s imagine that you are going to apply for a job in a finance world. Here are examples of skills for resume for stay-at-home Moms:
1) Management Skills: an ability to train 2 junior accountants and monitor the productivity of their work during the first month of their work.
2) Efficiency and Time Management: an ability to conduct reports and audits before deadlines.
3) Relevant Job Skills: a skill to adjust financial reports to GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and conduct risk analysis with a help of FRAP (Facilitated Risk Analysis Process).
Moms with Little Working Experience
When you are a stay-at-home Mom with a little working experience, you still can cope with it. The best decision would start and focus on your education unless it’s relevant to the job. Furthermore, it’s important to use Career Objective to state why you are the perfect candidacy for the position. As turning Mom skills into job skills can be complicated, this variant is a winning solution.
To show that you are a good candidacy, it’s crucial to mention the university, volunteering projects, internships, high GPA, coursework. It’s important to remember that all these documents must be relevant to the position! Otherwise, reaching success is almost impossible.
Moms with No Working Experience
Moms of this category still can pick up the best skills for the resume. If you have a relevant education, you should consider the previous paragraph. Otherwise, keep on reading.
The most relevant recommendation would be to use the approach that would a graduate from the high school use in his resume. Brainstorm all possible pieces of information that could attract your potential recruiter. Here are key skills for a resume when you have got nothing to write:
1) Freelancing. Freelancing isn’t only about rewriting. On the Internet, you can find plenty of opportunities such as data entry, graphic design, websites managing, etc. Freelancing isn’t the most powerful skill but it can be useful unless it’s relevant.
2) Volunteering. On the surface, there are no handy opportunities. But, in fact, almost every institution needs someone, who would help for free or for the minimum payment. Just think what you need, research the possible variant, and go and ask.
3) Learning new skills. Unless you have time, you must use it and learn new skills. You don’t need much time. It’s possible to take courses online.
Remember: picking up relevant and effective stay-at-home mom skills for a resume is always possible. Just look deeper and you will definitely find something.